What is INFO-PASS?
INFO-PASS is a resource sharing program of the St. Louis Regional Library Network that began in 1979 with 35 libraries. It is open to any member who wishes to participate and currently has about 75 members. An INFO-PASS is a multi-copy form (like a one time library card) which will allow a patron of a member library to have access to materials from another participating library in the program by either using materials in the library or checking the materials out where permissible.
INFO-PASS forms will be issued to patrons by the library to which they belong (the parent library) to be used at a designated library (the host library) within the network on a one-time basis per INFO-PASS. For any additional use or renewal, another INFO-PASS is required.
An INFO-PASS will only be issued to patrons in good standing who have a special need for materials which the parent library cannot provide. If a patron looses materials the parent library must pay for these materials. Therefore the parent library should be notified when materials are overdue.
Each library which participates in the INFO-PASS program will designate a person(s) within its library who will determine whether or not a patron needs an INFO-PASS. This person(s) will also decide at which library the INFO-PASS will be used.
Please see the St. Louis Regional Library Network Membership List to find participating libraries.
INFO-PASS forms are available at no charge to network members. They may be ordered from the Network Office. Questions about the program should be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
To order INFO-PASS Forms, contact:
c/o Amigos Library Services
1190 Meramec Station Road Suite 207
Ballwin, MO 63021
Eligibility of INFO-PASS User
The eligibility of an INFO-PASS user must be determined by the parent library. The needs of the individual user will be considered. While each parent library may establish its own criteria for issuing this form, it will verify that the individual receiving the INFO-PASS will:
- Have searched her/his library for the desired material and have exhausted any obvious resources.
- Through an initial screening interview have established her/his need for specific resources.
- Have a clean record at the parent library and have no outstanding fines or overdue materials.
- Be able to use the materials on her/his own.
Procedures for using INFO-PASS
- Screen patron for eligibility and need for specific resources.
- Determine most appropriate host library. Avoid overuse of same host library.
- Explain to users the conditions of the INFO-PASS, such as time restrictions, presentation of proper identification at the host library, and information about the rules and regulations of the host library as specified in its policy.
- Fill out and issue INFO-PASS to user.
- Agree to assume responsibility for any charges incurred by users, if they fail to meet their obligations to the host library.
- Prepare a statement of policy to include any restrictions or limitations which would apply to this program. This policy will be printed and distributed to all participating libraries.
- Honor INFO-PASS forms issued by authorized individuals from parent libraries, and collect INFO-PASS forms when they are used.
- Handle any abuses through the grievance channel.
- Notify parent library immediately when books become overdue.
In the case of abuse or non-compliance with rules as they are set forth, an initial phone call should be made by the concerned library in an effort to solve the problem. Repeated problems with the same library should be brought to the attention of Network Council. Council will review the situation, work with the libraries, and attempt to rectify the problem. If there are continuous problems with a library, that library may be dropped from the INFO-PASS program upon review by the network council.
Types of Abuse
- Overuse of same host library, e.g. sending all patrons to same university library.
- Poor screening of a patron need for specific resources.
- Disregard of requirements of host library.
- Refusal of the host library to provide adequate service to INFO-PASS user, as stated in host library policy.
- Refusal of parent library to accept responsibility for return of delinquent materials / or to reimburse the host library.